The economy of Botswana has historically been agriculturally based, until 1967 when diamonds
were discovered. Since then, the contribution of the agricultural sector to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP)
drastically declined. Despite the farming industry’s declining share of the GDP, it remains vitally important to the economy.
One of the initiatives to promote agricultural sector was the establishment of the Agricultural Hub in May 2008 as a catalyst for
the greater commercialisation and diversification of the sector, as well as to improve food security. Its aim is to develop an environment
that will encourage, facilitate and support a viable and economically sustainable agricultural sector, by spearheading production of quality
agricultural products for local, national and international markets.
In line with the theme of the National Development Plan 10 (NDP10) which is “Accelerating Achievement of Vision 2016 through NDP 10”.
The agricultural sector has been identified as one of the areas that have a great potential to diversify the economy and create
employment, especially in rural areas. The Ministry is currently implementing several projects and initiatives which are intended to
commercialise and diversify the
Leading the transformation of agriculture, thereby significantly contributing to the wealth of the nation by 2020.
To be the catalyst for the commercialization and diversification of the agricultural sector in Botswana. Aiming to
develop an enabling environment that will encourage, facilitate and support a viable and economically sustainable agricultural industry.
The Hub operates in conjunction with the Ministry of Agriculture, and is in a position to fully interact with other Hubs, Ministries,
parastatals, the private sector and other organisations. The Hub has been empowered to - recommend, negotiate, and intervene to enable
the timely implementation of the projects and initiatives that it is responsible for.
- National Agricultural Master Plan for Arable Agriculture and Dairy Development (NAMPAADD)
- Proposed Zambezi Integrated Agro-Commercial Development Project (ZIACDP)
- Agricultural Infrastructural Development Initiative (AIDI)
- Establishment of Agricultural Service Centres (ASC as part of ISPAAD and NAMPAADD)
- Facilitation of the establishment the Contributory Agricultural Insurance Scheme in Botswana (BCAIS)
- Facilitation of the establishment State Farms around dams and sewage ponds (arable and horticultural)
- Restructuring of Botswana Meat Commission (GMR partnership)
- Restructuring of Banyana Ranch and other state owned ranches (cattle sector)